6th Grade World History
DISTANCE/ONLINE LEARNING INFORMATION
Remind 101 is a tool that allows teachers to send quick reminders or updates to parents regarding classroom activities and upcoming tests. Joining Remind 101 is optional. To join my Remind 101 updates class, text @ferg706 or @ferg7062 to 81010. I will be using Remind 101 to send out weekly updates regarding what students are studying and reminders regarding important upcoming class events.
Google Classroom Codes (for student access only)
- 1st Hour: bpm5waw
- 2nd Hour: jzf3pnq
- 3rd Hour: uhqhnum
- 5th Hour: ws5gj5e
- 6th Hour: vnhrh7l
- 7th Hour: hyh3a2r
My goal will be to post instructional activities each morning by 9:00 (Monday-Friday, not including school holidays). My “virtual office hours” will be 9:00 – 12:00 each day. Realistically, I will make myself as accessible as possible to answer my students’ questions throughout the day.
During our school year, we will explore World History from Pre-History to the Renaissance. That is thousands of years of history in just a few short months! What an exciting journey through history we will have this year!
At the end of this course, you will be able to explain how society, the environment, the political and economic landscape, and historical events influence perspectives, values, traditions, and ideas. ** Louisiana Department of Education Social Studies Grade 6 / “Scope and Sequence”
NEEDS AND RESOURCES
To successfully complete this course, you will need to bring the following items to class daily.
- Binder or folder with a “Social Studies” section clearly marked.
- Pens and pencils.
- Personal pack of colored pencils.
- Highlighters (multiple colors, if possible)
- Notebook paper.
- Personal school planner/date book. This is provided to students by the school at the beginning of the school year.
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
Classroom Wishlist Items
- 3 x 5 Notecards
- Handheld pencil sharpeners
- Colored pencils
- Colored printer paper
- Paper towels
- Online access to the Discovery Education Techbook. This will be shared with students as soon as information is available.
- Google Classroom. Classroom codes will be shared with students the first week of school.
- Louisiana Department of Education website — www.louisianabelieves.com
- Youree Drive Middle School website – www.youreedrive.com
|Unit 1||Unit 2||Unit 3||Unit 4||Unit 5||Unit 6|
|Geographical Concepts & the First Civilizations||Ancient River Valley Civilizations||Ancient Greece and Rome||Spread of Culture and Religion||Civilizations in Africa and Asia||Medieval Europe and the Renaissance|
|August – September||October – Mid-November||Mid-November –December||January – February||February – March||April – May|
|GLEs: 6.1.1-4, 6.2.1-2, 6.3.1-4, 6.4.1-3, 6.6.1||GLEs: 6.1.1-4, 6.2.3, 6.3.3, 6.4.1, 6.4.3||GLEs: 6.1.1-4, 6.2.4-5, 6.3.3, 6.5.1-2
|GLEs: 6.1.1-4, 6.2.6, 6.3.4, 6.4.2, 6.6.2-3
|GLEs: 6.1.1-4, 6.2.7-8, 6.3.3, 6.6.4
|GLEs: 6.1.1-4, 6.2.9, 6.2.10
** Louisiana Department of Education 6th Grade World History “Scope and Sequence” Guide.
- Tests and quizzes will be announced and posted in class approximately one week prior to date of test/quiz.
- Social Studies Fair information will be provided to students as soon as it is available.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Prompt – This means you enter the classroom quietly, on time, seated, and ready to learn.
- Prepared – Have your materials ready, complete all assignments, and study for tests.
- Polite – Always, always treat others with respect and kindness.
You will receive your grades from a variety of different sources:
- class assignments
- homework assignments
- Daily Vocabulary / Daily DBQ (bellringer activities that alternate weekly)
Make-up & Late Work:
- In accordance to CPSB policy, if you have an excused absence, you will receive three days to make-up your assignment(s) (homework, tests, quizzes, etc.) for full credit.
- It is your responsibility to go to the “make-up” trays located in the front of the classroom for the day(s) that you missed and pick up the work you need to make up. If you have any questions, let me know.
- Late work due to unexcused absences or student apathy will be accepted for partial credit of the original grade. The partial credit will be based upon type of assignment, point value, and date of submission.
Remind 101 is a tool that allows teachers to send quick reminders or updates to parents regarding classroom activities and upcoming tests. Joining Remind 101 is optional and is not intended as a replacement of the Student Planner or as a daily homework guide. To join my Remind 101 updates class, text @ferg706 or @ferg7062 to 81010. I will be using Remind 101 to send out weekly updates regarding what students are studying and reminders regarding important upcoming class events.
If you have any concerns throughout the year, please do not hesitate to contact me by writing a note in your child’s planner (with instructions for him/her to share the note with me), via e-mail at email@example.com, or through the school office at 868-5324. To schedule a conference, please contact our 6th grade counselor, Ms. Duke, at 364-3092.