WELCOME TO MS. TRUMAN’S
Ms. Shondolyn Truman is the proud teacher of 8th grade Advanced Science students at Youree Drive Middle School. She has been a certified educator for over 20 years. Her life’s motto is:
“I teach, therefore I am!”
Youree Drive Middle Advanced Placement Magnet School
Ms. S. Truman’s 8th Grade Science
At the end of this course, you will be acquainted with and able to explain, apply and relate with the principles, theories and applications in 8TH Grade Science. The class will be taught by a combination of lectures, experiments, activities, presentations, projects and research.
By the end of the school year, you should be able to utilize skills in:
- Science as Inquiry: The students will do science by engaging in partial and full inquiries that are within their developmental capabilities.
- Physical Science: Students will develop an understanding of the characteristics and interrelationships of matter and energy in the physical world.
- Life Science: Students will become aware of the characteristics and life cycles of organisms and understand their relationships to each other and to their environment.
- Earth and Space Science: Students will develop an understanding of the properties of earth materials, the structure of Earth’s system, Earth’s history, and Earth’s place in the universe.
At grade 8, the literacy skills required by the task may include some or all of the following:
citing specific textual evidence, determining the central ideas or conclusions of a text, following precisely a multi-step procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks, determining the meaning of symbols, key terms, and other domain-specific words and phrases, analyzing the author’s purpose in providing an explanation, describing a procedure, or discussing an experiment in a text, integrating quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text with a version of that information expressed visually (e.g., in a flowchart, diagram, model, graph, table), distinguishing among facts, reasoned judgment based on research findings, and speculation in a text, comparing and contrasting the information gained from experiments, simulations, video, or multimedia sources with that gained from reading a text on the same topic.
For complete list of the Science Standards for 8th Grade Science, click on the link:
To successfully complete this course, you must:
- Be able to know and practice lab safety procedures in class,
- Apply the scientific method in problem solving in the Science classroom,
- Access the internet to utilize specialized programs for research (e.g. Google classroom, Discovery Education, Quizlet Live, etc),
- Know basic Science as Inquiry Skills such as critical, logical and creative-thinking skills as to be applied to real life situations, and
- Be able to explain basic Science concepts from Physical, Life Science, and Earth Science.
To successfully complete this course, you will need the following materials:
- Youree Planner
- Interactive Notebook (3 or 5 subject notebook to last the whole year)
- #2 Pencils and erasers
- Colored pencils or crayons
- Loose leaf papers
- Glue sticks and/or mini stapler w/staples
- Access to the internet from home via computer, cell phone, or other electronic device. Assignments that require internet access will be announced and time will be scheduled for the work to be completed. Parents and students should plan public library visit (as needed) to complete the required work.
Course Outline Pacing Guide Link:
For complete list of the assessment guide for 8th Grade Science, click on the link:
Science & Engineering Fair 2020
The Louisiana Region I Science and Engineering Fair will be held at the Bossier Civic Center, 620 Benton Road, Bossier City, LA on (2020 Date TBA).
All of Ms. Truman’s students are required to conduct an experiment (first approved by Ms. Truman) with the goal of being selected to participate in YDMS Science Fair on January 23, 2020.
For a snapshot of BPCC and YDMS Science Fair Requirements, view the link:
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
CLASS RULES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Follow directions immediately and all of the rules as stated in the Youree Drive Handbook.
- Raise hand for permission to speak or leave seat.
- Treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Be prompt (to class, submitting assignments, participating in discussions, etc).
- Be prepared (for class with all materials- i.e. planner, notebook, and pencil).
- Verbal praise.
- Good phone call OR good note home to parent.
- Spartan checks that can be collected and traded for other rewards.
- Treasure Chest item (candy, stickers, etc)
- Homework pass
- Preferred seating (according to class availability)
- Teacher assistant
- Verbal warning
- Parent contact by phone or note
- Changed seating
- Loss of privilege
- Detention (after notification of parent)
- Office Referral
- Student, parent, & administration conference
Ms. Truman’s Grading Policies:
Each nine week period, you will be graded based on the following criteria:
- Classwork– Worksheets and Interactive Science notebook to be completed and submitted on time (40% of grade)
- Experiments (experiment reports and activity sheets) & Projects – At least 1 experiment and/ or project each Nine Weeks (15% of grade)
- Tests– announced and given after the completion of major content (15% of grade)
- Homework – reinforcement of the content covered & communicated via Remind.com (10% of grade)
- Exams- given at the end of each unit (20% of grade)
Shondolyn S. Truman, M.Ed. Administration & Supervision
Exceptional Students Science Teacher
Youree Drive Middle AP Magnet School
6008 Youree Drive, Shreveport, La 71115
REMIND MESSENGER INSTRUCTIONS
PARENTS AND STUDENTS MUST SIGN UP FOR REMIND MESSENGER APP CLASS ANNOUNCEMENTS ACCORDING TO CLASS PERIOD.
#1- Text to 81010. In the message box, typed the code for Ms. Truman’s class period that you are in (reference your class schedule). Please, don’t sign up for a class that you aren’t enrolled in.
1st PERIOD Code: @trusci1st
3rd PERIOD Code: @trusci3rd
4th PERIOD Code: @trusci4th
5th PERIOD Code: @trusci5th
6th PERIOD Code: @trusci6th
7th PERIOD Code: @trusci7th
#2- After you have joined, be sure that you…
Type your Full Name (First and Last Name & child’s name) AND Phone Number (area code + cell phone number) in the message box and CLICK SEND.
#3- Save the contact information in your phone for easy access. You may send and receive messages for Ms. Truman.