👩🏾🏫 HOMELEARNING OFFICE HOURS:
Shondolyn S. Truman, M.Ed. Administration & Supervision
Exceptional Students Science Teacher
Youree Drive Middle AP Magnet School
6008 Youree Drive, Shreveport, La 71115
Ms. Shondolyn Truman is the proud teacher of 8th grade Advanced Science students at Youree Drive Middle School. She has been a certified educator for over 20 years. Her life’s motto is:
“I teach, therefore I am!”
Youree Drive Middle Advanced Placement Magnet School
Ms. S. Truman’s 8th Grade Science
At the end of this course, you will be acquainted with and able to explain, apply and relate with the principles, theories and applications in 8TH Grade Science. The class will be taught by a combination of lectures, experiments, activities, presentations, projects and research.
By the end of the school year, you should be able to utilize skills in:
- Science as Inquiry
- Physical Science
- Life Science
- Earth and Space Science
At grade 8, the literacy skills required by the task may include some or all of the following:
citing textual evidence, determining the central ideas/conclusions of a text, following precisely a multi-step procedure, taking measurements, integrating quantitative or technical information visually (e.g., in a flowchart, diagram, model, graph, table), etc.
For complete list of the Science Standards for 8th Grade Science, click on the link:
To successfully complete this course, you must:
- Be able to know and practice lab safety procedures in class,
- Apply the scientific method in problem solving in the Science classroom,
- Access the internet to utilize specialized programs for research (e.g. Google classroom, Discovery Education, Quizlet Live, etc),
- Know basic Science as Inquiry Skills
- Be able to explain basic Science concepts from Physical, Life Science, and Earth Science.
To successfully complete this course, you will need the following materials:
- Youree Planner
- Interactive Notebook (3 or 5 subject notebook to last the whole year)
- #2 Pencils and erasers
- Colored pencils or crayons
- Loose leaf paper
- Glue sticks and/or mini stapler w/staples
- Access to the internet from home via Chromebook, computer, cell phone, or other electronic device. Assignments that require internet access will be announced and time will be scheduled for the work to be completed. Parents and students should plan public library visit (as needed) to complete the required work.
- Access to Google Drive, Docs, & other Google apps
- Access to CADDO Classlink
Course Outline Pacing Guide Link
For complete list of the assessment guide for 8th Grade Science, click on the link:
2020 Northwest LA Regional
2020 State Science Fair
Science & Engineering Fair 2021
The Louisiana Region I Science and Engineering Fair will be held at the Bossier Civic Center, 620 Benton Road, Bossier City, LA on (2021 Date TBA).
All of Ms. Truman’s students are required to conduct an experiment (first approved by Ms. Truman) with the goal of being selected to participate in YDMS Science Fair, 2021 Date TBA.
For a snapshot of BPCC and YDMS Science Fair Requirements, view the link:
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
CLASS RULES AND EXPECTATIONS
Follow directions immediately and all of the rules as stated in the Youree Drive Handbook.
Raise hand for permission to speak or leave seat.
- Treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Be prompt (to class, submitting assignments, participating in discussions, etc).
- Be prepared (for class with all materials- i.e. planner, notebook, and pencil).
- Verbal praise.
- Good phone call OR good note home to parent.
- Spartan checks that can be collected and traded for other rewards.
- Treasure Chest item (candy, stickers, etc)
- Homework pass
- Preferred seating (according to class availability)
- Teacher assistant
- Verbal warning
- Parent contact by phone or note
- Changed seating
- Loss of privilege
- Detention (after notification of parent)
- Office Referral
- Student, parent, & administration conference
Each nine week period, you will be graded based on the following criteria:
- Classwork– Worksheets and Interactive Science notebook to be completed and submitted on time (40% of grade)
- Experiments (experiment reports and activity sheets) & Projects – At least 1 experiment and/ or project each Nine Weeks (15% of grade)
- Tests– announced and given after the completion of major content (15% of grade)
- Homework – reinforcement of the content covered & communicated via Remind.com (10% of grade)
- Exams- given at the end of each unit (20% of grade)
REMIND MESSENGER INSTRUCTIONS
PARENTS AND STUDENTS MUST SIGN UP FOR REMIND MESSENGER APP CLASS ANNOUNCEMENTS ACCORDING TO CLASS PERIOD.
#1- Text to 81010. In the message box, typed the code for Ms. Truman’s class period that you are in (reference your class schedule). Please, don’t sign up for a class that you aren’t enrolled in.
1st PERIOD Code: @trusci1st
3rd PERIOD Code: @trusci3rd
4th PERIOD Code: @trusci4th
5th PERIOD Code: @trusci5th
6th PERIOD Code: @trusci6th
7th PERIOD Code: @trusci7th
#2- After you have joined, be sure that you…
Type your Full Name (First and Last Name & child’s name) AND Phone Number (area code + cell phone number) in the message box and CLICK SEND.
#3- Save the contact information in your phone for easy access. You may send and receive messages for Ms. Truman.
Google Classroom Codes
1ST PERIOD o757gan
3RD PERIOD ujvdq7d
4TH PERIOD muz7nbl
5TH PERIOD 4n42g5d
6TH PERIOD xd4kmne
7TH PERIOD iaevsbu